Social Security (Scotland) Act 2018 Principles
In order to succeed, we must deliver our services in accordance with the social security principles that are set out in the first section of the Act.
- Social security is an investment in the people of Scotland
- Social security is itself a human right and essential to the realisation of other human rights
- The delivery of social security is a public service
- Respect for the dignity of individuals is to be at the heart of the Scottish social security system
- The Scottish social security system is to contribute to reducing poverty in Scotland
- The Scottish social security system is to be designed with the people of Scotland on the basis of evidence
- Opportunities are to be sought to continuously improve the Scottish social security system in ways which
(i) put the needs of those who require assistance first, and
(ii) advance equality and non-discrimination,
- The Scottish social security system is to be efficient and deliver value for money.