Help for low income families
20 November 2018
Pregnancy and Baby Payment applications open on Monday 10 December.
The first Best Start Grant Pregnancy and Baby Payments will be made before Christmas.
The payment will see eligible applicants receive £600 for their first child.
This payment also provides £300 for all subsequent children – meaning there is no cap on the number of children it supports.
In addition to the Pregnancy and Baby Payment, by summer 2019, two additional early years payments will be introduced. The first £250 payment will be made around the time a child starts nursery, to help with the costs of early learning and a further £250 when they start school.
Social Security Secretary Shirley-Anne Somerville said:
“I am delighted we will be delivering the Best Start Grant Pregnancy and Baby Payment earlier than originally planned, providing low income families with increased financial support. I am particularly pleased, that by not capping children, babies born in the last six months who already have a big brother or sister will be eligible to get their payment.
“With the Early Learning and School Age Payments this means that for a two child family, the Best Start Grant will provide £1400. That’s a substantial investment to ensure our under 5s get the best possible start in life and reflects our emphasis on the early years.”
• This benefit will be wholly delivered by Social Security Scotland.
• Parents/carers will be eligible if they are the mother of the child, her partner, or have a young mother dependent on them, and get certain qualifying benefits.
• Qualifying benefits include Universal Credit, Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.
• You do not have to be on a qualifying benefit if you are under 18 or are 18 or 19 and in full time education and still dependent on your parent or carer.
• Most people will be able to apply for a payment without sending any evidence as, with permission, we will check DWP systems and Baby Box data.
Second carers payment date set
29 November 2018Read previous article on Second carers payment date set
Carer honour for Social Security Scotland
7 November 2018Read next article on Carer honour for Social Security Scotland